5/29/2007

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery

So it turns out M**** has been reading from my copy of Less than Zero, then he e-mails me to tell he’s found Bret Easton Ellis’s style oddly similar to how I’ve been writing in here for the last year or so myself, and I reply with a short review of this other book, Neil Gaiman’s Smoke and Mirrors, which M**** lent me in return. Only I wrote it under Clay’s words.
Clay obviously being the protagonist from Less than Zero.

I ended it with, I especially liked the one with the cat who was like a guardian angel to the family of this writer guy and fought off the devil who wanted to invade their home, or maybe I'm totally misreading it. Just so that you know.


In the end, I mean, this end, here, it all boils down to the fact that most posts I’ve written for the last year or so have been intentionally done mimicking Ellis’s style (emulating, not mocking it!) because I admire it enormously. I really do.
I have also used the writing style of the following masters for inspiration & guidance: Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman, and the eternal & omnipresent Jack Kerouac, patron saint of amateur writers everywhere.