3/22/2006

Excerpts from 02 books

1.
“We´d set out at 3 a.m. from my mother´s house to make the Grand Canyon by sunrise. In the next five days we would cross the Rockies and the Plains (…) It was Bobby´s trip at heart. He would drive most of the time, and insist on stopping in stores that advertised “Homemade Jam” or “Local Handicrafts”, which, three times out of four, had been made somewhere in Asia. He would, with my credit card, buy over a hundred dollars´ worth of cassette tapes: the Stones, David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen. He would play “Born to Run” over and over, until Clare finally threw it out the window on the road approaching Sandusky.”

From, A home at the end of the world
By Michael Cunningham (1990)

Thought you might enjoy. The bit about the girl throwing the Springsteen tape out the window just kills me. Life isn´t that much stranger than fiction, I suppose.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2.
“To my mother, who liked the bit about the horse.”

From, Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency
By Douglas Adams (1987)

That´s the book´s dedication, really. I kid you not. Makes me laugh out loud every damn time. That´s who I wanna be when I grow up, you know? Douglas Adams, trailblazer. Smartest, funniest person on Earth.
He was that good.