12/07/2006

Mr. Shoop and the Doppelganger

I.
When I was fifteen years old I had this recurring day-dream which pretty much came down to meeting an older version of myself in the garage at my parents’. I was supposed to learn from myself of all the things that would come to pass, eventually, not to change history per se nor all that crap but in fact to get ready for things to come.

When I was twenty-five years old I had this recurring day-dream which pretty much came down to meeting a younger version of myself in the garage at my parents’. I was supposed to tell myself of all the things that would come to pass, eventually, not to change history per se nor all that crap but in fact to get ready for things to come.

I think that if there’s a moral to this story it’s that regardless of how much our mileage vary by the distance run more than a decade’s passed and we’re all still walking a thousand miles in any given direction.


II.
Now stop me if you’ve heard this one but to be completely honest with you- and I do mean completely here- of all movie characters I can think of right now the one I feel most closely resembles my current state of mind is Courtney Thorne-Smith’s character Pam from Summer School (1987) especially during those sequences when all the kids are locked inside the classroom having to listen to Mr. Shoop the teacher and Pam, well she just keeps staring out the window in quiet introspection and she’s not really caring about anything else other than being totally bummed for all the opportunities wasted while then & there, locked inside with all those people she can’t really relate to.

Is there such a thing as “To fall astray” in the dictionary, L****?
Then I think there should be, because that’s exactly the way I feel right now.