12/30/2005

The Auld Lang Syne post

Warning. Happy New Year straight ahead.
But really, what´s to wait for in a Happy New Year?
I´ve been wished money, success, women, luck, even world peace in the ensuing year, every year.

I know I´ll catch a cold two or three times in 2006 (that same figure probably valid for diarrhea as well). I´m quite sure that I´ll end up slamming the distal phalanx of my small toe against some unspecified piece of furniture at the office when I´m walking barefoot before everybody else comes in early in the morning at least once, and twice for against the bed just before bedtime.
I also know that no that no money, success, women, luck, even world peace, will ever come my way next year, despite everyone else wishing otherwise.

So where do all those wishes go to, after all?

Theory: I guess once in about every 453 years those wishes come true; you´re standing by the water-cooler some sunny Wednesday afternoon and Wham!, an angel dressed up as Green Lantern comes up and hands over to you a bag full of money, success, women, luck, even world peace.
Green Lantern tells you, “Man,” says he, “Here´s the accruements for the 453 years of people wishing you money, success, women, luck, even world peace.”
“Thanks, GL,” I say.
So as far as all those wishes go, don´t bother. Please. Ain´t gonna happen.

American playwright Arthur Miller once said, or is thought to have said, “An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted.” (which I totally borrowed from DC Comics´ Identity Crisis story, by the way. I´m not that familiar with Mr. Miller´s works, only thing I ever read by him is The Crucible, and both Arthur Miller´s The Crucible and DC Comics´ Identity Crisis rock!)
Anyway, back to “An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are exhausted.”
Here´s my personal list of basic illusions exhausted in 2005: Money, success, women, luck, even world peace.

So.
Buy me a ticket for the movies, I´ll get you the popcorn, and we´re off just fine into 2006 ahead.