7/05/2008

In-between two Fridays

We can't tell our left from right
But we know we love extremes
Getting to grips with the ups and downs
Because there's nothing in between

--from, The Back of Love, Echo & the Bunnymen, 1982.



Friday
My father rings in at about 5:30am to say my grandmother´s passed away.
I turn off the phone, turn on the lights, sit on the bed, rub my eyes and... realize he never really mentioned which grandmother was that, and instead of crying I start first giggling then laughing, thinking of how cool this scene would look in a movie.


Saturday
The day after the burial my father and I get in this little skirmish while fighting over his late mother´s happy pills, but mom barges in as sees us calling dibs on the medicine cabinet, goes crazy, gives us hell and chases me around the house until she´s able to pry the stuff out of my hands.


Sunday
I wake up on Sunday after a 14-hour sleep, straight on, with the distinct feeling that I´ve just had my wings clipped: I´d been running on a natural high for the past couple of weeks, see, and my mood´s just reverted back to baseline levels.

Manic episodes never really lasted this long before, I´ve just realized half in wonder and half in terror. But I so wanna do it again because it sure beats the alternative, living like this, with both feet firm to the ground and the days lasting for so long, it just kills me every time...


Monday et Tuesday
Wading through the molasses of the mundane... holding to that ticket to see Echo & the Bunnymen for dear life...


Wednesday
sending out text messages saying stuff like enjoy your 30s master kenobi because some of us are still trying to save the world is sort of my way of coping with having to come to this rock festival all by myself but once t.s.o.l. climbs onstage i´m leaping like there was no tomorrow and having the time of my life then i realize i´ve actually started the mosh pit myself and before they start singing flowers by the door i´ve met this real cute girl also by herself also in jeans and a white tee and we start dancing together but when i ask her if she´s also staying to see echo & the bunnymen she says no i´m only here for t.s.o.l. and leaves then my heart broken because i´ve really fallen for her see but the next gig is gene loves jezebel which is fairly funny very-1980s and the lead singer´s antics makes everyone have a good time then a million years later echo & the bunnymen start playing despite my legs already feeling like jell-o from all the jumping and dancing but they´re playing hard and cool mainlining their bassline straight into my veins and shooting me up to heaven up until half past one in the morning then i hop on a taxi and go home...
BOTTOM LINE IS, BEST SHOW EVERRRRRRRR!!!!!

....Aaaand of course somebody just had to film it and upload it to YouTube:

Lips Like Sugar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQHHIz2boVA

Rescue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdX7ubso1BU&feature=related

Killing Moon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI4JxYbxOLM

The Cutter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqYbrr0vRjg&feature=related

Seven Seas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtB2CtiioGk&feature=related

Bring on the Dancing Horses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMZHd8VJ7lA


Thursday
Despite having slept for only two hours I wake up and make it to the office anyway with blisters the size of elephants on the soles of my feet from all the dancing the night before, and hoping to hell that the dark circles beneath my eyes don´t look as ominous as I think, because I´m kicking off the staffing plan and it means I´ve got to interview the candidates for the team.
“Are you sure you´ve never done this before?” asks the head-honcho from JAX who came over to oversee the interviews, then books in an early flight and leaves us to our own devices. “Let me tell you man, it was beautiful.”
Makes me pretty proud of myself, also a little conceited.

Thursday ends during recess at the MBA when this girl and I get to purloin the notebook from a classmate of ours once we find out his computer´s crammed with .Mp3. We sit in the back of the class singing along to the Velvet Underground´s Take a Walk on the Wild Side but the fact that she´s married takes the fun out of everything.


Friday
____ comes to the rescue at the nick of time and messages me an invitation for drinks while I´m attending this god-awful presentation about recycling the trash at the office and trying my best not to picture the speaker naked.

I get to the restaurant a little late but ___´s already arrived and got us a table. There´s champagne on ice but I´m starting with vodka just because. “Champagne gives me gas,” I tell him over the fancy pasta with melon and tomatoes. He smiles and tells me to shut up and just drink it.

“By the way, just you wait until you see the waitress,” he says. “Bet you´re falling for her.”


Which I do,

but
the week

ends all
too quick

anyhow.